Tuesday, February 22, 2005

The Decline of the Urban Bank

The corner bank is disappearing in Toronto. Today, I noticed another one is gone. In my neighborhood, there is a brand new Pizza Pizza where a stately corner bank once stood. Now, the place has been desecrated by ugly orange and white tiles.

I understand the new economy of online banking, but I regret the passing of the bank on the corner. I am from a small town where the main street ran for a quarter mile. When I was a kid, there were four banks and each one stood on a corner. They are still there. In Toronto, they are dying only to be replaced by Pizza Pizza and 7-Eleven.

I think that there is something interesting about how bank architecture has changed over time - I have to admit having a particular fondness for early 20th century design. Later bank design just doesn't do it for me, and neither does later church design. Let's face it, modern banks and churches are ugly, and there is no reason for it. Any place where people go to worship (either some god or money) ought to be architecturally inspiring.

Technorati tags: ,

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

perhaps I am stating the obvious, but it's really the Pizza Pizza franchise that you object to being in your 'hood...though I can completely understand why...if you're going to use the term 'noxious weed', you should apply it to franchises...

mister anchovy said...

The corner bank up the street from me is now a grocery store. Mrs. Anchovy has been in there and says it is a nice place, a small business competing against the giants with fresh produce. I'm going to start shopping there, since my local Dominion has taken to pre-packaging as much as they can in the produce section. This corner bank always had long line-ups. They were a lifeline to many people in my area who do not speak very good English. I hope the new consolidated monster bank can serve those folks as well.