Friday, March 23, 2007

The Close Talker and the Egomaniac

I still haven't figured out what term best applies to him, but my colleague has been described as a buffoon, idiot, and moron. I am sad to report that I can add Close Talker to the list. Glass of wine in hand, I orchestrated a creeping backwards maneuver, with him in close pursuit, until we were no less than six feet away from where our conversation began only ten minutes earlier. This is how snakes move - silently and inexorably, millimeter by millimeter until they swallow their pray or find a place to warm up in the sun. The good news is that we ended up beside the open bar, and I turned to my right and said: "red wine please." She refilled my glass.

My back should be sore, for it was arched away from him, trying to avoid his breath on my face, the light random drizzle from his mouth, and his exploding Ps. If anyone had been paying close attention, they would have approached me and offered to push me upright. When the dinner bell rang, I found a good seat in the middle of the room and chose a chair that afforded me a good view of the podium, so I would not have to twist my head around like an owl to see the person speaking. The bad news is that I sat right next to an egomaniac.

A simple question turned into a 15 minute exposition of how freaking wonderful she is, and then on she went about her grants, her research, her publications, her life-long interest in learning. I got the whole story of her childhood and how she was the first woman in her class to attend college. I had to sneak in that I was the first person in my family to attend University. She bulldozed over that. It was exhausting listening to her. But, there was free wine, a substance that can counteract the effects of a poison.

Technorati Tags: , ,

12 comments:

tweetey30 said...

Sounds like some people I know. I hate when people do that. I mean you walk away from them dont you think they would get the general drift. Not all people do. Now this young woman. I have never talked about myself like you just said she did. I dont know why people have to brag about themselves so. No idea really. Oh well. They just need to hear themselves talk. Need to hear there own voices.

hannah said...

i'm sorry hon, i hate people like that. this is why i want to get a tazer, so that if small talk turns bad, i have a way out

Super Happy Jen said...

My personal favourite egomaniac trick is asking a question that's not actually a question but in fact a protentious statement designed to make the questioner appear intelligent.

Famous person doing a talk: Any questions?
Egomaniac: Yes, the theme of your last novel seemed to explore the characters inner angst and blah blah blah...

If you don't know what I mean, watch Inside the Actor's Studio on Bravo. (it comes on after the cop shows in the afternoon).

running42k said...

That was funny. You should of had more wine. It gives better coping skills.

Anonymous said...

I hate when people talk and talk and are so self-absorbed. They need social etiquette lessons.

Jay said...

Oh man. There's one in every crowd, but it takes a special kind of luck to wind up sitting beside him or her. At least means that karmically, you should be good for a little while, right?

zydeco fish said...

hannah: the tazer is a great idea.

tweetey30 said...

The only thing that would suck is that those of who dont drink any acohol would still have to listen to her unless you told her to shut up and didnt care how rude you sounded.LOL..

Anonymous said...

That's a great visual, you backing your way around a room.

And maybe the reason why we get along so famously is the whole first to go to university thing. Hmmm...

We have an understanding.

The ZenFo Pro said...

See, this is why I'm convinced that "open bar" should be mandatory for all library-related functions. I always consider Jack Daniels a colleague when caught in things like this.

Anonymous said...

I'm sorry, i think I would need something a little stronger than wine.

tshsmom said...

My vote is for the tazer, although Jack Daniels WOULD help. ;)