Tuesday, August 26, 2014

Beck: One Foot in the Grave (1994)

One Foot in the Grave was recorded before Mellow Gold, but was released after Mellow Gold became a big hit. There was a vinyl release of this record in 1994, but I don't think I have ever seen one. Prices on Discogs are far less than I would have imagined. There were also vinyl releases in 1991, 2001, and 2009. I have the latter, as well as a copy on CD. The 2009 vinyl edition contains a second record, with sixteen unreleased tracks. Discogs says this:
Expanded double LP reissue of the 1994 album containing the original album, the three tracks from the "It's All In Your Mind" 7" EP and 13 previously unreleased recordings from the album sessions.
I like it, but I just have to say something. Beck, I have read, is a Scientologist. I just cannot understand how anyone could fall for this obvious scam. Its a real head-scratcher. And, have a look at this:

He's a mighty good leader
He's a mighty good leader
He's a mighty good leader
All the way
All the way, lord
From up to heaven
He's a mighty good leader
All the way

Right. Other wise, it's a good song, and one of the more memorable ones from the record. By the way, he did not write this song, but he did choose to sing it.

No comments: