Tuesday, December 02, 2014

The Clash: Cut the Crap (1985)

It's tragic when a favourite band falls apart. I have never come to terms with this record. It fails on almost every level. It's a true mixed bag. The big problem is that Mick Jones and Topper Headon are missing from the lineup. Why would any band fire Mick Jones?It really killed them. On top of that, the production choices on this LP are mystifying.

The only way to describe track 1 -- Dictator -- is total chaos. The production makes no sense. How did the band allow this track to leave the studio.

Dirty Punk is mostly excellent, and one of the better tracks on this record. I like the guitars.

We are the Clash is wildly inaccurate. It's, like, half the Clash. The track suffers from bad production. It could have been saved.

Are You Red..Y: Hmm, I'm not sure. It's not awful, but I think it could have been better. Again, some of the production choices are suspect.

Cool Under Heat starts off well enough and manages to stand out as one of the better tracks. One begins to wonder if this is a contractual-obligation record.

Movers and Shakers: At this point, I began to wonder why so many tracks have what sounds like soccer chants in the background.

This is England is the best track on the record, and possibly the only track anyone needs to know. this is top-shelf Clash. Did they build an entire record around only one good track? It's a bit surprising that this track wasn't the first track on side A.

Three Card Trick: Damn those drum machines. Topper would have improved this record, but I would rank this as one of the better tracks.

Play to Win: Evidently, even Joe Strummer hated this record, apart from This is England. That's probably accurate. This track is more chaos. It makes little sense.

Fingerpoppin': Is this what happens when you let a punk back have access to synths and a drum machine? I say that this song is not only a disaster, it's embarrassing.

North and South: This track sounds like bad 80s music. There may be a good song beneath the production mess.

Life is Wild has more soccer chanting. I suppose if someone gave me this record and said that it was a post-Clash record by Joe, I may have liked it better. As a Clash record, it fails. I really wish the music would have matched the cover image. That image suggests something that isn't there.

I don't see this record very often in the bins. I have a minty fresh copy from Europe.

No comments: