Wednesday, September 02, 2015

Bob Dylan: Blonde On Blonde (1966)


Grandpa died last week
And now he's buried in the rocks
But everybody still talks about how
Badly they were shocked
But me, I expected it to happen
I knew he'd lost control
When I speed built a fire on Main Street
And shot it full of holes
Oh, Mama, can this really be the end
To be stuck inside of Mobile
With the Memphis blues again


It's probably impossible to choose a favourite Dylan record. I change my mind frequently. Blonde on Blonde would be a contender. His first eight records are all excellent. I loved most of the next ten records, with a couple of exceptions. Blonde on Blonde is simply essential. I don't see how anyone can be a fan of western music and not know all of these tracks inside and out. You should be able to sing along to the entire record without missing a word.

One thing we can be sure of is that this was the first ever double LP. I wonder if anyone wlse woudl have thought of that had Dylan not done this. 

My copy is a later issue, probably after 1976.

No comments: