Friday, March 11, 2016

Peter Gabriel: Plays Live (1983)

Untitled
Sadly, I have never seen Peter Gabriel in concert. That, as I think I have mentioned before, is a problem if you live in a small town far from a big city. So, this record had to fill in for a real concert experience. In the mid-90s, he released Secret World Live, which I have on CD and DVD.

Gabriel is obviously a perfectionist in the studio and on stage. On Plays Live, he admits that he fixed some of the recordings after the fact. I guess I can forgive him for that. At least he was honest about it:

"Although this album was compiled from four concerts in the mid-West of the United States, some additional recording took place not a thousand miles away from the home of the artist. The generic term of this process is 'cheating'. Care has been taken to keep the essence of the gigs intact, including 'human imperfection'."
 
When I listen to this record, one of the things that occurs to me is the wish that I could have been there. And, as I recall, that's pretty much what Rolling Stone (I think) said about it when they reviewed this record ages ago. The reviewer said something like it's too bad we can't see the concert. I wonder if Gabriel still wears makeup in concert?

I also have to say that have never liked I Go Swimming. Maybe that has something to do with the fact that certain radio stations never tired of playing it.

No comments: