Wednesday, May 11, 2016

The Government: Electric Eye (1979)

Untitled
This is a crazy, freaky record. I cannot describe it. In truth, I prefer Guest List and the 7" EP better, but this is unquestionably some music that challenges and it needs to be heard.

The Government had an association with the VideoCabaret theatre company, so this record is something of a soundtrack, albeit an odd one, to a video. I have no idea if the video still exists.

I was nowhere near Queen Street west during this time, so all I have are the records. I wish I had been able to see this band, I hadn't heard of them until way too late.

For more information on this record, I recommend the following brief article:

http://www.canuckistanmusic.com/index.php?maid=327




Here's an interview:
Gina Daniels interviews The Government, 1979 from Allison Collins on Vimeo.

No comments: