Friday, August 19, 2016

The Housemartins: Caravan Of Love (1986)

Untitled
I hate the song Caravan of Love with a deep and abiding passion. The Housemartins did not write this song, though they recorded a very popular version of it the year after it was recorded by
Isley Jasper Isley. As I have mentioned in the past, I dislike a cappella music intensely, and this entire EP was recorded that way.

I suppose I ought to give the band credit for disparaging organized religion in the video--if that's really the correct interpretation, and I am not convinced that I agree with that argument--but even that doesn't blunt the religious overtones of the track, not to mention the other tracks on this EP, like Heaven Help Us All (Sermonette) and When I First Met Jesus:

"Talk about Jesus Talk about Jesus I talk about Jesus I talk about Jesus I try to back Jesus I try to back Jesus I try to back Jesus I try to back Jesus I click about Jesus I click about Jesus I click about Jesus I click about Jesus I clap about Jesus I clap about Jesus I clap about Jesus I clap about Jesus I talk about Jesus I talk about Jesus I talk about Jesus I talk about Jesus."

In fact, the five tracks as a whole comprise some sort of bizarre mini gospel effort.

So, here's the strangest story I have about about Caravan of Love. Years ago, I was hanging out with some people, and one couple in the group were planning to buy new speakers. Of course, when one auditions new audio gear, one wants to hear familiar music, but also music that touches on all of the ranges. You want to hear bass response, the higher end, and mid-ranges, and so, you may want more than one song or more than one style. Well, this couple decided that the one and only track they needed to hear was Caravan of Love, which they carted around on CD to the various stereo shops. I heard that song so many time, it almost made me made. I would have chosen Led Zeppelin.

No comments: