Monday, August 08, 2016

The Hold Steady: Boys and Girls in America (2006)

Untitled
Boys and Girls in America was something of a breakthrough album for the Hold Steady, I think. It seems to be the first time many people heard the band for the first time. It's no wonder, since this is another truly stellar record, right up among my fav THS records (though I have a slight preference for Separation Sunday).

Has it really been ten years since this came out? Wow.

On this record, Craig drops a few more names, like Sal Paradise, John Berryman, Izzy Stradlin, Tennyson, Judas, the Devil, and Jesus. A few regulars (Charlemagne, Gideon, and Holly) show up. There are a whole bevy of great tuners, all seemingly radio-friendly, but the radio is garbage these days.

I finally got a copy on vinyl, the deluxe edition, reissued on two LPs. It includes four b-sides and six demos. It's awesome to have this on vinyl, though I still have no idea why any fan would want demos of anything from any band. I have various CDs with bonus demo tracks and they are all generally underwhelming. The best of the b-sides is probably Girls Like Status.


No comments: