Wednesday, April 12, 2017

Juluka: Stand your Ground (1984)


I remember everything about buying this record. I remember parking my car and jay walking across the street to the second hand record store the I liked. I remember running into two women I knew in the store, though I forget their names. I danced with one of them a few times in a campus bar. She had spiked hair. I wasn't looking for any particular record, and I ended up with this one. I could have done better, but this is OK.


From Allmusic:
Perhaps the least conventional group to emerge in South Africa in the 1970s was Juluka. The brainchild of English-born White anthropologist Johnny Clegg and traditional Zulu musician Sipho Mchunu, Juluka offered an electrifying dance music that combined the best of African and Western styles. Clegg scandalized the White establishment by appearing on the cover of Juluka's first album dressed in full Zulu costume next to Mchunu. [source]
Today, that would be criticized as cultural appropriation and he whole be cancelled. 


No comments: