Tuesday, March 27, 2018

Men at Work: Business as Usual (1982)

Untitled
I have a memory of listening to this album many many times, but when I played it a while back, the only songs I could recall were Who Can it Be Now?, Be Good Johnny, and Down Under. Is it possible that the other tunes simply faded from my memory? Maybe the songs are really that unmemorable.

In reviewing the Wikipedia entry for this record, I discovered something I did not know:
In February 2010 a Federal Court judge in Sydney found that the flute riff from "Down Under" had been plagiarised from the Australian song "Kookaburra Sits in the Old Gum Tree", written in 1934 by Marion Sinclair. The Federal Court determined that the copyright was still current (Sinclair died in 1988) and had been assigned to Larrikin Music. The judge found that "a substantial amount of the original song" had been reproduced in "Down Under". Larrikin Music had suggested 60% of the royalties would be appropriate compensation, but the court decreed they shall receive only 5%, and only on mechanical rights for the song since 2002, and on future profits. [source]
Amazingly, I am familiar with Kookaburra Sits in the Old Gum Tree, and I feel somewhat puzzled by the fact that I didn't hear the similarity.

I still quite like the track Down Under.


No comments: