Monday, June 25, 2018

Van Morrison: Tupelo Honey (1971)

Untitled
Morrison said afterwards that he "wasn't very happy" with it. "It consisted of songs that were left over from before and that they'd finally gotten around to using. It wasn't really fresh. It was a whole bunch of songs that had been hanging around for a while. I was really trying to make a country and western album." He commented further that he seldom listened to it and had a bad taste in his mouth for both His Band and the Street Choir and Tupelo Honey. [source]
I have to say that I find the above passage mystifying because I really love this record, as well as His Band and the Street Choir. To me, this record is packed with greatness. I have the original Canadian pressing. I once saw a copy at a now defunct (and terrible) Toronto record store for $40! Why? This is not a rare record.

No comments: