Friday, July 06, 2018

Van Morrison: Into the Music (1979)

Untitled
Erik Hage commented that after the favourable commercial reception of Wavelength, Morrison was inspired to "return to something deeper, to once again take up the quest for music, that was spontaneous, meditative, and transcendent—music that satisfied the other side of his artistic nature." Morrison was quoted on his opinion of the album, "Into the Music was about the first album where I felt, I'm starting here...the Wavelength thing, I didn't really feel that was me." (1988) "That's when I got back into it. That's why I called it Into the Music." (1984) [source]
I think the critics were right about this one. Into the Music is a really fine record. But, on the negative side, I have to say that while I absolutely love the sound and feel of Full Force Gale, the lyrics make me crazy:

Like a full force gale
I was lifted up again
I was lifted up again by the lord

It goes on and on in much the same way, and I think it's stupid. Though, the sound of the song is fabulous.

No comments: