Tuesday, January 29, 2019

Peter Murphy: Wild Birds Live Tour (2015)

I was ecstatic when I found this record languishing in a sale bin in a record store in eastern Ontario some years ago. I could not believe my luck. The price was excellent too, being as it was on sale. But, there is bad news. The sound quality is dismal, making this record sound like a really good bootleg, at best. Why this was released, I will never know. It has a really great track listing and I expected great things.

The record was recorded live at the House of Blues in Los Angeles on April 4, 2000. In the end, I am happy that I paid what I did, and not a penny more. But, I think it should never have been released. I'm not the only person to think this. Have a look at these Amazon reviews, which I read after-the-fact:

"Horrible recording, don't waste your time, it doesn't showcase what an amazing show peter can put on. makes me wonder if this was a sanctioned recording or if someone got a bootleg posted on amazon. wish i could get my money back."

And: 

"I love Peter Murphy's music, but, the quality of this recording is terrible. Please listen before you buy...I wish I had."

Sadly, they are right about this record. Still, I will keep it.

No comments: