Wednesday, June 05, 2019

Gary Numan: Telekon (1980)

And what if God's dead?
We must have done something wrong

I wouldn't be the first to say that Telekon ends Numan's classic phase, just as it ends his Machine Trilogy. The Canadian pressing includes the single I Die: You Die, omitted from the original pressing. That means that one track (Sleep by Windows) is cut from the Canadian version. I can live with that. That track and We Are Glass were released between TPP and Telekon as singles.

There are guitars on this record. Numan didn't get a big hit from this record, and so he has been forced to live with the label "one-hit wonder," which I think unfair.

Numan retired from touring after this record, though it didn't stick. I'd place this record in my top three Gary Numan LPs. It's fabulous.Oddly, Robert Palmer recorded a cover version of I Dream of Wires.

No comments: