Friday, August 09, 2019

N.W.A.: Staright Outta Compton (1988)

The first time I heard this record I was floored. I was simultaneously trying to comprehend the rampant use of cursing (and the n-word), something that I don't know was widespread at the time. All rap/hip hop I had heard, until this time, was clean, for lack of a better word. And then there was the anti-police element, most notably in the track,  _ _ _ _ the Police.

This record is civil disobedience. It's a plea for justice. It's anger. It's also sexist. Whatever it is, it's powerful in music and message and tone. I don't think this songs were played much on commercial radio, but that didn't stop it from being a big hit, a notorious hit.
Unlike Ice-T, there's little social criticism or reflection on the gangsta lifestyle; most of the record is about raising hell -- harassing women, driving drunk, shooting it out with cops and partygoers. All of that directionless rebellion and rage produces some of the most frightening, visceral moments in all of rap, especially the amazing opening trio of songs, which threaten to dwarf everything that follows. [source]
I have no idea of what it must have been like to have been a black person in LA in the 80s, but it looks like it was rough and that institutionalized racism was widespread, and I am sure still is. The Rodney King verdict was a clear injustice. How can you object to statements of rage like this one? I don't play this often, but it's an interesting listen, from time-to-time.

No comments: