Tuesday, August 27, 2019

Sinéad O'Connor: The Lion And The Cobra (1987)

My first copy of this album was on CD and, later, I found a vinyl copy. I really only know her first two records, and then I either lost interest in her or my musical directions changed. I honestly haven't listened to this record in ages, maybe 15 or 20 years. That's probably because I heard it too frequently after it was released.

It's amazing what one can learn from Wikipedia, if one has confidence that everything on Wikipedia is accurate. For example:

- O'Connor recorded the album while heavily pregnant with her first child.

I didn't know that. I also wonder what "heavily pregnant" means. 

- The title of the album is from Psalm 91:13 "you will tread upon the lion and cobra"

I didn't know that, but I pay little attention to the fairy tales in the bible. 

- The track "Never Get Old" opens with an Irish language recital of Psalm 91 by singer Enya.

I didn't know that either.

- The photograph of O'Connor on the album cover was taken by Haysi Fantayzee member Kate Garner.

I didn't know that. 

- The covers of the United States and Canada issues differed from the European release, as it was decided a more subdued pose would present a "softer" image of O'Connor.

I didn't know that. I do wonder how if soft is the right word. I'm not sure a photo of a bald woman would be considered as soft.

- The first single, "Troy", peaked at number eight in the Netherlands and number 12 in Belgium.

 I didn't know that.

- The second single was "Mandinka", was a mainstream pop hit in the UK, peaking at number 17 in the singles chart, as well as number six in her native Ireland.

I didn't know that.  

"I Want Your (Hands on Me)" was featured in the 1988 horror film A Nightmare on Elm Street 4: The Dream Master.

I didn't know that, probably because I did not see the film

The album charted worldwide, reaching number 27 in the United Kingdom and number 36 on the US Billboard 200.

I didn't know that.  

I'm trying to remember what I thought when I first heard it. It was probably something like, where did she come from? It's like she came out of nowhere with a pretty compelling and confident debut record. I always felt that she had a powerful voice. I guess the first song we all heard was Troy, and I think I liked it. Today, I find the track to be overwrought. I have always preferred Jerusalem. And, by the way, I applaud her for ripping up a photo of the pope. I would have set the photo of that grade a jackass on fire. He a homophobic misogynist who shelters pedophiles.




No comments: