Friday, September 27, 2019

Orchestral Manoeuvres In The Dark [OMD]: Architecture and Morality (1981)


There are a handful of records that I would call masterpieces and Orchestral Manoeuvres in the Dark's Architecture and Morality is one of them. In fact, this record is one of my favourite records of all time. I still remember the first time I heard this record and the epic opening to The New Stone Age, about which Allmusic says: "The New Stone Age," with McCluskey's emotional fear palpable over a rough combination of nervous electronic pulses, piercing keyboard parts, and slightly distorted guitar." [link] I nominate this as one of the best song openings ever. The first time I heard it, it stopped me in my tracks.

From there, the band moves into the haunting She's Leaving, followed by Souvenir, a track that I recall Andy McCluskey saying he originally didn't like. I really can't understand that at all. Sealand, which is partly ambient and partly hypnotic, seems to foreshadow Dazzle Ships, as does the title track and Georgia. Joan of Arc and Maid of Orleans, are simply amazing tracks. The album concludes with the peaceful The Beginning and the End. It's brilliant, a work of true genius. Everyone should hear this record. If you don't like it, there is something wrong with you :)

No comments: