Friday, November 26, 2021

The Police: Outlandos D'Amour (1978)


"The Police became globally popular in the late 1970s and early 1980s and are generally regarded as one of the first new-wave groups to achieve mainstream success, playing a style of rock influenced by punk, reggae, and jazz. They are also considered one of the leaders of the Second British Invasion of the U.S." [source]

Outlaws of Love? Is that the correct translation? Who knows for sure? I think the first Police song I ever heard was Message in a Bottle. The first Police record I owned was Reggatta de Blanc, an album I like better than this one. I might have heard Roxanne before Message in a Bottle, but I honestly cannot remember. Of course, Roxanne was used to great effect in 48 Hrs.

The only song I don't really like on this LP is Be My Girl - Sally. I liked it the first few times I heard it, but then it got boring. On the other hand, the rest of the tracks are top notch.

The Police were a very interesting band. With the fourth record, a change in sound is obvious but that didn't diminish my love for the the band. Stewart Copeland remains one of my favourite drummers of all time, after John Bonham.




No comments: