Wednesday, October 23, 2019

Orchestral Manoeuvres In The Dark [OMD]: Crush (1985)

I think that Junk Culture introduced the idea that OMD might be migrating towards a more mainstream sound, or at least a moderately more mainstream sound. In fact, So in Love and Secret became big commercial hits for the band. Bigger things were in store for the band with the Pretty in Pink soundtrack the following year. Even with the move towards the centre, the band still held onto some of the earlier experimentation, with tracks like Crush and The Lights are Going Out.

Watching the video for Bloc Bloc Bloc reminded me that there may really be life for a trombonist after all. It's not all William Riker. (I played the trombone for a few years when I was younger, and I have regretted the choice ever since. I wished I had chosen a more versatile and smaller instrument). Also, I have to say that I love The Native Daughters Of The Golden West.

If you want a behind-the-scenes look at the making of Crush, including studio footage, interviews, and the music videos, you should watch Crush: The Movie, but youtube seems to have removed it. (Vimeo - https://vimeo.com/156924990) Oh well.

I'd hate to give the impression that I do not like this record, because I really love it, even if it creeps, at least a little, into more accessible territory.

I paid about $1 for this LP.


No comments: