Friday, January 07, 2022

Prefab Sprout: Swoon (1984)


Although the band had released some singles prior to Swoon, this was the first LP from the band. About the band's name, Wikipedia states this:
Several inaccurate stories have circulated about the origins of the band's unusual name. According to the Guinness Book of British Hit Singles & Albums, the band's name was a mondegreen from the song "Jackson" ("We got married in a fever, hotter than a pepper sprout"), misheard by frontman Paddy McAloon. McAloon has maintained that the name was entirely made-up, stating in a 1984 interview; "I was asked about the name so many times I used to invent stories about it. The truth of the matter is that I made it up. Around that time all the groups were supposed to mean something ... and when you are 13 you think it's profound, that there must be some secrecy. I liked the idea and so thought of two odd words, put them together and have kept it, basically because it reminds me of how I used to look at things". [source]
I read that the Monkees were once referred to as the Prefab Four, but I guess that this is unrelated. This is a good yet mellow record, although I did not appreciate this band when I first heard them. 


No comments: