Tuesday, June 29, 2004

So much for pollsters: they got it wrong.

I just finished reading Salamander by Thomas Wharton (review). I loved Icefields, his first novel, much better. I did like this one. Actually, I liked it quite a lot. But, there is something about it that I just can't put my finger on.

I have also recently read: Badlands by Robert Kroetsch; Going to New Orleans by Charles Tidler; Man of Bone by Alan Cumyn, and some others I can't remember right now.

Whenever I recall recent books read, I reflect on those that I hated. What is the worst book I have ever read? I have an answer, but I could be wrong. After all, I abandoned many books part way through. This group includes Larry's Party by Carol Shields. I know this book received tons of praise, but I think it is boring and badly written. I used to struggle through books I didn't like, but now I realize that there are far too many good books waiting. I regret the hours and hours I spent fighting my way through Douglas Coupland's Microserfs.

Microserfs, in my humble opinion, is the worst book ever written. Well, it is the worst book I have ever read all the way through. It stinks. It is boring and tedious, or, in the immortal words of Bart Simpson: "I didn't know it was physically possible, but this both sucks and blows."

I recently met Douglas Coupland: he signed an advanced copy of Eleanor Rigby. He is a nice guy. I liked a couple of his other books, but I think that Generation X is overrated. Maybe I read it too late. I am a Gen Xer, so I should have appreciated it.

Tags: , ,

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Based on your vitriolic comments about Microserfs, it must be the next book i read. I have never heard anyone have negative comments about DC, but that's mostly, i suspect, because he's a cultish writer with a devout following that praise his every word without much criticism or objectivity...we shall see, but Polaroids from the Dead has some of the best short fiction I think i've come across in memory.
CMF | 06.30.04 - 6:16 pm

zydeco fish said...

i liked shampoo planet. ok, so i dare you to read microserfs, all of it.
zf | 06.30.04 - 7:26 pm

Anonymous said...

you're so on...
CMF | 06.30.04 - 8:16 pm