Wednesday, July 14, 2004

Library School

OK, so here is my opinion of the Library Science program (at a large unnamed North American, ALA-accredited library school). It sucked. I can't believe that it is a masters-level program. I think that it was largely unacademic and boring.

Maybe I feel this way because I have a "real" masters degree (call me a snob if you must). Maybe it's just that the program was filled with busy work, work that was not very challenging. Maybe I don't know what I am talking about. It just seems to me that it was really not quite up to the standard of other masters programs. I know that some people will disagree with me. That's fine. This is just my opinion.

I recall one guy in the program referred to the MLS program as the "back door to academia." He might have been correct.

And now, on a completely unrelated topic, the only complaint I have ever had with Seinfeld is the pronunciation of the word clitoris. I know that there are two accepted pronunciations: one with the accent on the first syllable ('klit-&-r&s), and the other with the accent on the second (kli-'tor-&s), which makes it rhyme with Dolores. The latter just sounds stupid to me.

That's it for today.

Tags: , , ,

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

interesting, multi-dimensional rant.

i must confess, i tend to agree with your description of the MLS degree, but this is an opinion i probably would not have had, had a not done an additional MA degree. The 2 experiences were so vastly different it seems strange the same degree status to it.

As for the issue with pronunciation, i'm not as concerned with how people pronounce it, just as long as they know how to find it...
CMF | 07.14.04 - 2:17 pm

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.