Friday, August 20, 2004

The Olympics

I always enjoy watching the Olympics. But, during the past two or three games, I have felt that something is missing. I think that the collapse of the Soviet block has killed some of the excitement. It was far more interesting when the West was up against the East.

The other thing is that there are far too many events now. If it were up to me, I would get rid of rhythmic gymnastics, boxing (it is both brutal and stupid), equestrian (either that, or award the medals to the horses rather than the riders), sailing (what's next, auto racing?), trampoline, synchronized swimming (aka smiling under water and looking goofy), and synchronized diving. Oh, and I would insist that we stop any notion of making golf and ballroom dancing Olympic events. They can't be serious.

I am also irritated by CBC coverage. There is way too much commentary and too many talking heads. I am tired at looking at Brian Williams and I am tired of his voice. Everything is on tape in the evenings, and they just pile on the garbage. Last night, I had to endure a documentary segment on Greek dancing. Why? CBC, please just show the events!

Tags: ,

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

yes, the CBC coverage is dreadful...but i thought you would have liked the Greek to Me segments, given your desire to visit the place.
CMF | 08.20.04 - 10:06 am

zydeco fish said...

'tis true that i'd lke to visit the greek isles, but i think i can get plenty of details about the place on my own. maybe i'd rather see live events, rather than taped and edited. who knows?
zf | 08.20.04 - 11:51 am

Anonymous said...

Don't dismiss trampoline so handily -- it's at least given us another medal.

RFO's equestrian commentator was the French actor Jean Rochefort, who was exceptionally amusing. I didn't give a fig about the horsey stuff, but to hear him wax on about it all was delightful.

Brian Williams is the CBC equivalent of nails down the blackboard. You just want to slap him around, some of the stuff he says is so stupid...
katherine | 08.20.04 - 3:31 pm