Friday, November 05, 2004

I am passing, once again, on the offer of a free flu shot. The flu vaccine contains, among other things, formaldehyde, aluminum and mercury. It is not guaranteed to work. I won't give you a run down on all of the possible side effects (any Google search can bring up a plethora of real and imagined ones). I do know someone who is now off work permanently because of a bad reaction. My dissent really comes from the marketing campaign.

Ontario, as far as I know, is the only jurisdiction in the world that hands out free flu shots. There is no good reason for this. The campaign is based on guilting you into getting the shot. I worked in the largest Canadian teaching hospital for six years, and during that time, only the elderly, or those with respiratory or kidney problems, were encouraged to get the shot. I hate those ads that try to force me to get the shot, because I might get someone else sick. If someone is so fragile that they could die from the flu THEY should get the shot, not me.

Some health agencies in the USA recommend that children ages 6 months and older get the shot. You have to ask why US agencies would promote a substance that contains mercury to children after the federal government had legislated out mercury from all other vaccines.

The other troubling thing is that no one has bothered to conduct an epidemiological study in Ontario. We are giving out the vaccine willy nilly, but is anyone compiling statistics? Is there any way to even obtain meaningful data on the efficacy of this intervention? The fact is that very few people really get the flu. Often, it is just a bad cold. I don't deny that a flu pandemic would be a horrible thing. I am just not sure that pushing the flu vaccine, which may undermine one's natural immunity, is the best way to go.

Tags: ,

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I suspect that the government puts microchips in the flu vaccine so that they can track our every move. I'll have no part of it! My friends say I'm just squeemish about needles. True, but that doesn't mean my microchip theory is wrong.

superhappyjen
superhappyjen.blogspot.com

Anonymous said...

The mere fact that the Ontario government spends truckloads of money on ads telling me to get my flu shot immediately makes me suspicious. When the government tells me to do something, I at least have to ask why. I'm not convinced that for an otherwise healthy adult, the flu shot is the right thing to do (besides, the stuff is likely spiked with SOMA or alien spores. This fishboy is staying away.

mister anchovy
misteranchovy@excite.com
http://misteranchovy.blogspot.com

zydeco fish said...

Also, the flu shot works only 70% of the time anyway.