Monday, December 13, 2004

One day, the Noriega look-alike gave me roses. I think we were coming back from some horrible fast food joint, like Subway. He stopped at a street vendor selling flowers out of large white buckets. You know these people: they get dropped off in the morning, almost thrown out of the back of a white van in strange and no-so-strange places. I didn't know who Little Noriega was buying roses for, but then it all became clear. He turned, a smile coming into to pock-marked face, handed them to me, and then ran away. Seriously. It was almost a sprint. He said something like: "don't say anything."

There I was, standing downtown with a dozen roses given to me by a man who thought that I was his boyfriend (despite the fact that I was clearly interested in women). Anyway, I took the flowers back to my office where a co-worker said: "oh, those need water." He busied himself getting a vase and arranging the flowers. It occurred to me that perhaps he needed the boyfriend.

The next day, Noriega came by and read to me a personal ad had been planning to submit to a paper. He claimed that there was no longer any need, since he had met me. I corrected him and told him that he had jumped to conclusions. In fact, I wrote it down, since I wanted something on paper, given that we worked for the same employer. I worried that he would stalk me. He did show up a few times, but he finally got the picture. The worst part was really enduring Water World on the big screen. The rest was simply an irritation.

Technorati tags:

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

The best part of this whole story is that you actually saw Water World in the theatre...i can't think of too many other people who went to see the film, or who would admit to going at all. Whose choice was it? I'm trying to picture how this all went down - both of you scanning the NOW listings, and someone saying: "hey, Water World looks good - let's check it out!" And then the other person agreeing, probably just out of politeness...

As for your affiliation with the gay community, your choice of profession do

Anonymous said...

oops, didn't finish my thought: your choice of profession does tend to encourage assumptions, but maybe it goes deeper than that. but think about the possibilities inherent in being able to play both sides...
CMF

zydeco fish said...

sadly, it was his choice. how can a gay man have such bad taste in movies?

Anonymous said...

what did u do to encourage this sort of outragous behavour.clearly the guy is far below inteligent.but that sums up most of my sex, thinking with the wrong head again.
dm
dmidd65@yahoo.com

Anonymous said...

Christmas is just around the corner. No time to go to the mall...then do your shopping online. We sell everything that the mall sells. Shop today!