Monday, April 25, 2005

Cannibalism and You

Did you know that Japanese researchers have inserted a gene from the human liver into rice so that the rice can "digest pesticides and industrial chemicals"? Two years ago, it was revealed that Chinese scientists were experimenting with genetically-modified crops using human genes. Now, in mid-west USA, experiments are underway with GM crops that are intended to help fight diseases. These also contain human genes. Those who follow the GM debate are aware that there is little way to prevent contamination with conventional crops. Roundup Ready (tm) Canola has found its way into regular Canola and unapproved GM corn has shown up in stores.

Applied Phytologics Incorporated, an American corporation, has produced a GM rice crop containing proteins identified as human lactoferrin and human lysozyme, commonly found in breast milk, bile and tears. I am going to be sick. Would eating any of this make you a cannibal?

Technorati Tags: ,

3 comments:

dabydeen said...

Cannibal -- I'd rather not think about it. While there definitely are some benefits to GM crops, I also know that Monsanto is an evil company. Anything with Roundup in it should only be digested in hell.

BTW ... ever seen the Corporation?

zydeco fish said...

I haven't seen the Corporation yet, but it is on my huge list of things to see. I recently read Naomi Klein's No Logo and, although I found the book to be less academic than I had been led to believe, it is interesting.

zydeco fish said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.