Tuesday, April 05, 2005

TrouttheCat told Zydeco Fish about Guzzlefish and it got me thinking about collections, collectors, and gender. At times, I have wondered if obsessive collecting is a psychiatric disorder (and I say that knowing that I have tons of CDs, a camera collection, and an inherited stamp collection). I don't think there is a collecting disorder condition in the DSM-IV, aside from bag ladies, perhaps. And that leads me to my next point: men get away with collecting anything and, I think, fewer women collect things. Maybe it's just that I know few women who collect things.

Anyway, all of that is by way of introduction to online collections. Guzzlefish allows you to create an online database of your DVDs, CDs, and games. There is another one, which is more of a trading community, called SonicSwap. They are interesting, but I found that so many artists in my CD collection were missing, it would take ages to upload song titles and cover art.

Am I wrong about the gender of collectors?

Technorati Tags: , ,

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Yes, I think so. I know some women with some really extensive collections.

I think the problem is something like CDs (or in my case, DVDs) is probably seen as a "useful", and by extension, "appropriate" form of collection.

Beanie babies or figurines are probably not. Or are at least viewed as frivolous.

Dare I admit to the collections of egg cups, snow globes (oh, how I regret not getting the pope one in Rome!), and little walking toys?

mister anchovy said...

I'm working on a collection of free reed instruments (squeezeboxes)...and I guess over 5 fly rods constitutes a collection....

Anonymous said...

I think it may be less a question of gender, and more about astrology - Virgos, in my experience, male or female, have always been excellent and some might say obsessive collectors...

zydeco fish said...

I didn't consider the astrological angle.

Egg cups? I would never have guessed.

Anonymous said...

Hi -
I noticed that you wanted to catalog your collection on SonicSwap but felt the catalog was not quite big enough.

This summer we changed our catalogs and added about 200,000 more CD's. At the same time, we have added the ability to upload your music collection from iTunes, if you have ripped your collection. You use an iTunes accessory called myTunes to upload it, and then we process your iTunes database to match your tracks against the commerically released CDs in our catalogs.

Give us another try, and if you need any help, just let me know. We are working hard to have the best service on the web.

Best regards,
Dan
SonicSwap Customer Support