Monday, May 16, 2005

Music Notes

I think it was on the drive back to the hospital to pick up mother and baby when I switched on the radio of the borrowed car, thanks to the neighbours across the street. The radio was already tuned to Q107 and so I decided to listen. It turns out that I was in the midst of the completely misnamed "80's Music That Doesn't Suck Classic Rock Weekend." Clearly, Q107 and I disagree on what music from the 80s sucked and what didn't.

Let me say that Queen's Another One Bites the Dust sucks with a capital S. For a moment, I felt like I was in a bizarro world, where everything bad was good. I had to change the station quickly, because the announcer promised that we would be subjected to KISS, from the unmasked era. Yikes. I also worried that they would play, inevitably, Van Halen's Jump, which I nominate as the song with the most infantile use of keyboards in musical history.

But that isn't the worst of the musical news. I was shocked and appalled to hear a The The song used in a Dockers TV commercial. I thought that only the dinosaurs were selling their songs. Frankly, I think it is far more fitting to hear Led Zeppelin selling Cadillacs. That makes sense to me.

This is the Day

Technorati Tags: , , , , , , , ,

2 comments:

Critical Darling said...

Yup, radio stations and I are most definitely not in agreement when it comes to what sucks and what doesn't. I'm with you on the Queen. It's a pity some bands have to have such potential and yet suck at the same time...oh, and anyone who thinks Van Halen was ever any good or that they put out any albums that even come close to being the best of all time (do you KNOW who Miles Davis is?) need to be piled onto a bus with a bunch of Nickleback fans and driven into the woods and left for dead. I have a funny image of them fighting over who the greatest guitarist of all time is and finally kicking the crap out of each other. Jimmy Page or Eddie Van Halen?...oh, so difficult!!! But, that's just my humble opinion.
Oh, and a late congratulations is in order! He's adorable.

zydeco fish said...

It is sad that there are actually people out there who don't know who Miles Davis is. Eddie Van Halen is all about show and speed. I see him as the Liberace of guitarists: he might sound good on first listen, but there's not much there.