Thursday, May 26, 2005

Orchestrate This

The other day, I heard an orchestral version of Eleanor Rigby on CBC Radio Two. The world doesn't need that. Nor does it need the orchestral version of Tubular Bells or the orchestral Pink Floyd or the orchestral anything. I still remember that sinking feeling when I heard a musak version of Jethro Tull's Aqualung. Why can't they just leave the music as it is?

The exceptions might be Brian Eno's symphonic treatments of Bowie's Heroes and Low.

Technorati Tags:

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Orchestral versions are lame, and Musak is even lamer.

Critical Darling said...

I'm with you on Brian Eno.

zydeco fish said...

Of course, when I wrote Eno, I meant to type Phillip Glass. Eno wokred with Bowie on the originals. I was thinking, at the same time, of Bang on a Can's version of Music for Airports. It's another case of my fingers working faster than my brains, something that happens with alarming frequency.

zydeco fish said...

Fran's is still there.