Thursday, June 30, 2005

My Old Roommate

I just discovered that my first year roommate from my undergrad days has a blog. I have added musings of middle age to my blogroll. It's interesting that he already considers himself to be middle aged. I figure that is several years off. I am not even 40 and, after all, 50 is the new 40 and we are living longer, right? I hope so anyway.

Anyway, my now middle-aged friend has uploaded a post in which he says about us:

"Well now it appears that we will be able to stay in more frequent contact, probably learning more about each other then when we were 19 year old roommates only concerned with getting drunk and laid, and not necessarily in that manner."

If only I could remember if that was true. I'll take his word for it. Studying was not a priority in first year. That much, I remember.

Technorati Tags: ,

5 comments:

Jay said...

Heh. Goodness, that is pretty young for middle age! I forget which anthropology class I was in where we discussed how 40 IS the new 50, and how 65 isn't 'old' anymore, how you're not really old until 80...and basically, we live right now in an age where we are redefining the periods of our lifespan, which is crazy. And yet we are all united by the common bond of the freshmen kegger.

Anonymous said...

35 is the new 21, in my universe, so honestly, middle age doesn't begin until at LEAST 50.

Anonymous said...

wait so that means he told you about his blog right? There is no way I will every call myself middle aged!!

zydeco fish said...

Maybe I really am middle aged and I am not brave enough to accept it.

I wish I had known that 35 was the new 21 when I turned 35. That would have helped.

laura k said...

You can only determine when you're middle-aged if you know how long you're going to live. If I die tomorrow, I was middle-aged 22 years ago.

It's a completely meaningless distinction. We are the age that we are. Call it late for dinner, it's still the same thing.