Friday, August 12, 2005

Dead Budgies

When Polly, our pet budgie, started looking a bit peaky, my dad intervened. He added a few drops of brandy to its water dish. For the next two or three days, it was very active, happy, and cheerful. Only later did it occur to me that the little green bird was probably quite drunk. Sometime later, we found it reclining feet up on the bottom of the cage. For years, I assumed it was dead, but someone later told me that it might have passed out. In any event, it was dead enough for the store to replace it without having to launch into any Monty Python skits about dead parrots.

I began to suspect that the replacement budgie, also called Polly, was an inferior bird when it was discovered that it could not fly. It plummeted straight to the floor. That was the only time in my life that I appreciated the bright orange shag. Otherwise, my memories of that carpet are of burns to various body parts - and I even have a friend who ended up with carpet burn on his face from that carpet. But, that happened in the teenage years, well after we gave up thinking that our family was capable of looking after birds or any sort of animal for that matter.

Budgie number 2 died within 10 days.

Technorati Tags: ,

7 comments:

running42k said...

You're in a lot of shit when I send this post to PETA.

Anonymous said...

OhMG! I love parrots, but I don;t like them caged..(sorry). But oh no about the brandY! Wow! That was not a smart move. Perhaps there was some left over for the second bird to drink.

mister anchovy said...

I had a pair of peach-faced lovebirds for years. Don't let the name fool you. They're foul, nasty bastards who bit, really hard. Mine were named Iggy and Caledonia. Every time Tuffy P. came over, they would kick up such a racket. If she said anything to them, they would get even louder.

Anonymous said...

Budgies always remind me of the line in Lock Stock and Two Smoking Barrels when Eddie says, "Don't knock it, it's CHEAP... like the budgie"

I've never really been around birds, so have no bird stories, but I think it's pretty funny that your dad gave it brandy! Haha

laura k said...

We used to have budgies - although ours lived to be very old. But we never gave them brandy... Not good.

Mrsmogul, Budgies aren't parrots. They can't live in the wild. At least mine couldn't have!

Anonymous said...

I had a budgie when I was eleven - but it died when I was at camp two years later. I don't miss cleaning cages.

My husband, OTOH, once decided a pair of pet bluebirds were 'dirty' and accidently drowned them in the bath.

Anonymous said...

I suppose it's disrespectful to laugh so much at a post about the deceased...

It did remind me when ours died and I launched into the Python skit only to have my friend look at me in extreme confusion. Sigh. A perfect moment lost to a non-Python fan.