Friday, October 14, 2005

I Reckon that's a Mighty Big Load of Hay

I recently finished scanning about 1000 of my mother's photographs. That was a big job.

Yes, it's true, my grandparents on my mother's side were farmers. In fact, on my mother's mother's side, they were farmers back as far as I can trace them - to about 1480. Maybe that's why I left my small home town as soon I could and headed for larger urban centres, finally landing in Toronto about 18 years ago.

Farming sucks. I appreciate the work that farmers do, but it sucks. You have to get out of bed too early and walk around in manure-coated rubber boots. I really couldn't stand the noxious stench, the miasma of animal droppings. So, dear farmers, thank you for doing what you do.

No, I have never lived on a farm. Yes, I have bailed hay (with tractors and wagons) for summer employment. I met four or five farmer's daughters.

That's my Grandfather (top left), bringin' in the hay.

Technorati Tags: , , ,

13 comments:

Anonymous said...

I suspect that you will one day return to your farming roots and take up occupancy on a farm when you retire...I hope you're not allergic to hay...

Anonymous said...

That will never happen, trust me. I am not allergic.

Anonymous said...

That's a very cool pic. I love stuff like that

Anonymous said...

That is an awesome picture.

My mother has some really old picutre of my great grandparents on one side of the family in some kind od similar wagon.I've always loved looking at those old pictures.

I don't blame you though, hay is nasty.

Anonymous said...

Ahh, the prototype for the SUV.

Anonymous said...

First, I think it's really great that you scanned all those pictures for your mom. I'm sure she treasures them.

Second, I don't think I could handle farming. But I also respect what they are able to do.

Fantastic post.

Anonymous said...

I've got a scanning project of that magnitude too. Gotta get "round tuit" one of these days.
Congrats on completing such a mammoth project!

Anonymous said...

I always wanted to meet a farmer's daughter...

Anonymous said...

So where are the other 999? Keep 'em coming. I, unlike you, am alergic to all things farm. Horses especially, but also hay, goats, pigs (yes, pigs), and cows.

Thanks for helping me with that article. I think it'll turn into one of those long editing projects that I will totally send to you when it's all polished.

Anonymous said...

Having grown up on a farm in the middle of nowhere Virginia, I can say living in an urban centre has its advantages. I never appreciated that until I moved back into the middle of nowhere...

Farming's not so bad, I guess. Its the small town life that's a killer.

Wonderful photo, BTW!

Anonymous said...

My family still farms. And farming does suck. Especially when you accidentally stick your foot in a combine and everybody yells at you.

Anonymous said...

So where are the other 999?

I don't want to scare everybody away.

Anonymous said...

Well, technically, if you are a librarian, you ARE a farmer. Its just a different field and different kind of produce but you're still sowing and reaping, winnowing and such.
You can never escape your roots apparently :-)
Laura