Thursday, March 02, 2006

I am Stressed, Man, Very Very Stressed

For those of you that missed this, and I assume that is everyone, a new study says that librarians suffer more stress than firefighters, police officers, train operators, and teachers. Say what?

How could my job be more stressful than firefighters who may, at any time, be asked to pull people from burning buildings? How could being a librarian be more stressful than a police officer, who may be fired upon by all sorts of nasty criminals? This makes no sense to me. There is very little stress in my job. In fact, I rather enjoy my job. There is essentially no supervision and I have complete academic freedom. What's stressful about that?

Alright, I have to go upstairs now and try to teach some research skills to a few undergrads. It promises to be very very stressful.

Technorati Tags: ,

13 comments:

Anonymous said...

Perhaps because librarians are thought to be very anal retentive.

You never know what could happen if people put a book back on the shelf by themselves.

Do you print out the "DO NOT RESHELF THE BOOKS YOURSELF, please place them here" signs yourself?

Anonymous said...

I don't think I'm more stressed than firefighters and police officers, but I am stressed at the library. Between dealing with a giant bureaucracy, loony patrons, almost as loony staff, computers that refuse to work properly, being cursed by the people I'm trying to help, etc, I can't say the job is stress-free, not by a long shot.

Anonymous said...

what was the source of the study? Delusional Monthly?

Anonymous said...

You never know what could happen if people put a book back on the shelf by themselves.

Usually, they put it in the wrong place. Anyway, I rarely ever touch the books.

Anonymous said...

The answer for academic librarians is colleagues .... that's what causes stress!

Anonymous said...

I wouldn't want to touch the books either. Just think of all that bacteria.
It may well be personality type... I can see being quite type A , anal retentive and a bit of a perectionist that in and of itsefl causing some stress.

Anonymous said...

Yeah librarian are always stressed...(more if they manage bigger library)... "o... anyWAY... JZ chill out... :p take care///

Anonymous said...

hahaha, Leaf Girl. I actually did put up signs that said "Please put your books on the cart for proper reshelving!"
Do you think anyone listens? Frickin' college kids.

Anonymous said...

Perhaps it has more to do with the type of person who becomes a librarian, rather than the stressful nature of the job. I myself think I'm far too laid back (lazy), and free-spirited (disorganized), to become a librarian.

Anonymous said...

Jen,
me too (free-spirited) ... and it leads to a lot of disagreements between me and my colleagues.

Anonymous said...

it's all on account of the freakin dewey decimal system....

Anonymous said...

Sounds dangerous!

Anonymous said...

Take one look at Giles in Buffy the Vampire Slayer... Librarians can have unknown responsibilities, you know.