Tuesday, March 14, 2006

The Price of Cabbage

In 1945, you could buy 2 pounds of cabbage or 2 pounds of carrots for 11 cents, a dozen oranges for 32 cents, and a head of lettuce for 15 cents. Light bulbs were 15 cents each and you could get a tin of Flusho for 21 cents or Sinko for only 25 cents. Now, these are prices I could live with, even though I am only guessing at what Flusho and Sinko were used for.

A colleague recently found stacks of newspapers in his kitchen walls during his renovation. He found two pages from a paper published in my hometown in May 1945. Aside from the shopping deals and endless lists of auction sales, there were two other interesting bits.

The reverend that baptized me - not that it did any good, for I never attended a church service in that church (or any church, until I was an adult, and then only under serious pressure from another person) - was mentioned. He is the man who performed the marriage ceremony at my parents' wedding. I even have photographs of this man.

And then, there is mention of a meeting of the Presbyterian Young People's Society. A certain individual, whom I cannot name, is said to have been presiding. He was the Vice President. Let me just say that this man, a family friend - now thankfully dead, was never brought to justice for years of child molestation. I have good evidence that he and my brother (then about age 13 or 14) were fond of the Princeton Rub, and probably a few other rubs as well. I knew other people who fell victim to this freak too. It's a shame he was never thrown in jail.

Technorati Tags: , ,

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

It is a shame he was never thrown in jail.
I'm all for the harshest punishments for child molesters, but jail will do.
I like to think Big Bubba will give them a taste of their own medicine.

Anonymous said...

Unfortunately we had a family friend like that too! Justice rarely finds these bastards!

Anonymous said...

Well in his case.. hopefully hell is a hot fucker.

Anonymous said...

I Love old newpapers, Our antique house is full of them too, all in the walls. We have in our basement some lingerie catalouge pages and sewing patterns I tried to remove them, but they started to crumble to little bits, so I just left them, I have respect for that stuff I guess.

In a recent kitchen reno we found a 100 year old beer cap! it even had cork in it! Made me think about the guys who built the place, probably some hot summer day.

I was tempted to put some info about us in thoose kitchen walls before we drywalled them shut, but I never did get to it.... There will be more reno's in the future, maybe then.

Anonymous said...

Being in Boston, we know all about these sick freaks.