Monday, February 26, 2007

From the Archives


Some time ago, my mother began bequeathing things on me. There was, of course, the bedpan, and other associated goodies. My favourite item was an old letter from a great uncle that recounted in a very detached and matter-of-fact manner that his house had just burned down and that the family had lost everything, less the clothes on their backs.

I am always surprised that she has anything left to give me, because she relentlessly turfed everything that had no utility over the years. She even threw out music if she didn't like it. So went one of my Van Morrison albums, because she objected to the song title TB Sheets. A Jethro Tull album met the same fate, because of the lyric "snot is running down his nose" (from Aqualung). All of the toys went in lawn sales so that she could buy cigarettes. There was no way to stop her and so no one tried.

I was surprised when she gave me this item that I made when I was five years old. By the way, the last line translates to "I love you because you are taking me to Miami." I used some invented spelling there. Clearly, I was happy to have clean clothes and food.

I am sure lots of people have things like this from their childhood, many of which are unintentionally funny. I say, share them with the world.

Technorati Tags: , ,

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

That is a seriously great childhood letter.

I have boxes of such things. I keep thinking I should just destroy them. Maybe I shouldn't, after all.

running42k said...

Very good penmanship.

zydeco fish said...

R42K: It was all downhill from there. And, with all of the typing I do, my penmanship is now in ruins.

missmeliss: I say, keep them. They'll be good for a laugh years from now.

tweetey30 said...

I lost my comment. I hate this thing somedays. LOL..
I was just saying my mom never saved anythign from my childhood. I have to say she saved a prom dress for me when I went and now she just found it and wants to put it on ebay and sell it instead of keeping it for my girls when they get old enough to go. She has no sentimental value in her body with anything. TWeets.

3carnations said...

Very cute note. I will definitely be holding on to all the things like that I get from my son!

mister anchovy said...

too bad about the Van Morrison album

ShellyS said...

Thanks for the translation. That last line really had me going. ;)

And I think I might just have to meet the challenge. I've been thinking of digging out some old stuff to take pics of.

Teena in Toronto said...

How sweet!!!

I recently got my report cards from when I was a kid ... the common comment was that I was a messing printer/writer. Ha!