Tuesday, April 10, 2007

Another One Down

Tonight is the last class - the critique class - in my most recent photography course. This makes four down. If I take 6 more courses, I will get some sort of certificate, but I am not sure I want to do that, even though I have taken 2 of the 3 required courses. There is the possibility that the requirements of the courses displace the natural joy I would normally receive from the creative output.

For the last six years, I have been switching back and forth between writing courses and photography courses, unable to decide which I prefer. I seem to get into one mood or the other, hack away at it, and then switch. Some days, the creation of a blog post is pure magic; at other times, it is a labour most severe. I think the flipping back and forth offers the possibility of breathing new life into the art.

I have taken a few kernels from this blog and expanded them to some greater lengths in the hope that a collection might form, however randomly and incoherently. What I would do with such a collection is quite another story, but the idea of it is enough to convince me to fire up the laptop, from time to time, add a few paragraphs, consider the words, remember, reflect, enhance, embellish, and lie. I always wonder if my recollections of past events bear any kind of resemblance to the actual fact, but, having been trained in the craft of historical research and writing, I say that matters little for the value may be in my skewed perspective.

Perhaps I will take a course in deejaying. I'd like to get down and scratch some vinyl.

Technorati Tags: ,

14 comments:

tweetey30 said...

You know maybe you could do with both certificates. Use them both for something. One for photography and the other of course for writing. I think it sounds soo good. I am no writer of course.

Anonymous said...

I would like to see you "get down."

wikka wikka what!

MK

Vest said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Vest said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Vest said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Anonymous said...

I have always wanted to take a writing class, but I'm afraid to take one. At some level, I fear a class will kill my natural 'voice'.

zydeco fish said...

MissMeliss: that's an interesting comment. I think that your voice would survive. For me, writing classes have been a mechanism for forcing me to write, and write a lot.

hannah said...

both writing and photography are noble and creative fields, i'm sure you would do well in either, or both, as tweetey suggests.
we get to read your writing, why not post some of your pictures?

zydeco fish said...

hannah: yeah, that would be the obvious thing to do. I do have a photoblog (all of the photos in that blog are on Flickr), but that blog is linked to me and my real life, and I've always had the idea of keeping the two worlds separate, esp since I now have a dim-witted stalker/troll. I suppose I could post a few here. I have posted a few in the past, but none lately.

tshsmom said...

If I ever took a photography course, it would be for ME, not the certificate.
I'd LOVE to make a living with photography, but I wonder if that would take the joy out of it for me?

Vest said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
The ZenFo Pro said...

Lol, in terms of art, I've given up trying to define what sort of "artist" I'd like to be when I grow up.

Hey, you could always be ... a Litographer?

Hey, that sounds cool, actually...

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
zydeco fish said...
This comment has been removed by the author.