Monday, May 28, 2007

A Shoplifter Goes Down

The guy looked like he was moving in slow motion, and I wondered if he was ill, about to have some sort of seizure or simply crumble and roll down the stairs. And then, I realized that the two people behind him on the stairs that ascend from Dollar Rama in the Dufferin Mall had a good grip on his shirt and were holding him back. It made me think of those dreams where all you can do is run in slow motion. Despite his weight, which I estimated to be around 257 lbs, he was unable to free himself from the two female store clerks.

Security had been called, and, seconds later, I watched as two mall security guards sprinted down the hallway and took him down. I turned the stroller away so that my son would not witness the altercation. But, the boy kept craning his neck to get a good look. We strolled past a women with a four or five year old who scooped up her child and said something like: "look, ____, let's go see the guy in handcuffs." She ran over to the growing crowd of spectators, the kid bouncing in her arms. She was unwilling to miss any of the excitement and I wondered if this was an attempt at imparting some sort of life message.

By this time, the perp was face down on the cold and dirty Dufferin Mall floor, his hands locked behind him in silver cuffs. Soon, security had him on his feet and they led him to the interrogation room, probably room 101.

The thing that continues to perplex me is why steal from Dollar Rama?

Technorati Tags: , , ,

9 comments:

running42k said...

I don't evision them making this heist into a movie.

tweetey30 said...

I agree with Running but still parents shouldnt be encouraging there children to watch stuff like that. I have never seen that happen but I dont think I would let the girls watch it either if it ever did happen.

Kimberley said...

The perp, eh?

Awesome.

Anonymous said...

Nothing at the dollar store could possibly be worth that.

mister anchovy said...

My father used to say, 'Robin Hood was right....no point robbing the poor'. The irony is that he could never steal anything from anyone.

The ZenFo Pro said...

Yeah. Why would anyone shoplift from the Dollar Rama?

I mean, c'mon. That's like carjacking a taxi.

Jay said...

I think I would be so filled with embarrassment for him, I would have let him go.

Super Happy Jen said...

Is it one of Dollarama's that don't take debit? I hate that. Maybe he didn't have enough cash on him to buy what he needed.

zydeco fish said...

Hmm, I think they take debit.

"That's like carjacking a taxi." So true :-)