Monday, June 11, 2007

Launch

On Friday night, I had the pleasure of attending the launch of Sandra Kasturi's book of poems, The Animal Bridegroom. It was a well-attended event at The Central on Markham Street. Unfortunately, it was hotter than hell in there, even before the readings began. I saw a few people I hadn't seen in years, most of whom are on Facebook (like, who isn't?).

Sandra published my first poem (two, actually) about 13 years ago. I had two more published in another journal that same year, and then I gave it up and have only written a handful of poems since then. I am not really sure why, but I think that fame was getting to me.

I kept getting demands for autographs and invitations to events I had no interest in attending. I had to retreat to the sidelines. Otherwise, I would have had a Paris Hilton lifestyle, and who wants that? I took a poetry workshop a couple of years ago with Rhea Tregebov, and that was fine, but it did not kick start anything. I have been sticking to prose.

Happy Monday.

Technorati Tags: , ,

3 comments:

Anna May Won't said...

congrats to your friend! that's exciting.

i used to write a lot of poetry too, back in college. it's so different from fiction writing but, i'm finding, has a lot in common with literary nonfiction. it helps to boil down events and ideas to the essence of what you're trying to say.

Super Happy Jen said...

I have a friend who writes poetry. Unfortunately I can't tell if it's good or not. Do you ever go to Hyde Park when they have the poetry reading? Haven't been in years, but I've always enjoyed it.

zydeco fish said...

I went to The Scream only once, but it was a blast. I think I should go again, soon, like this year.