Monday, December 17, 2007

OpenID Commenting

Well, this is very cool. Blogger has just enabled OpenID Commenting, which means that you can comment here using your blog URL from OpenID-enabled services. These include WordPress, Live Journal, and AOL Journals. You can read more about this here here.

I do have one question, however, and that is: what the hell is AOL Journals? I have never heard of this before. I have yet to comprehend why anyone even uses AOL for anything. I mean, there are so many other good ISPs and blogging sites out there. When I think of AOL, I think of landfill sites full of AOL disks sent to every resident on earth whether they wanted one or not.

OK, OK, so I went to AOL Journals to see what it was all about, and then I ended up following a link to AOL News (who knew there was such a thing as that? It sounds as dubious as Fox News), and then I found this story about a giant rat. Really, you have to look, if only for the photo. Go. Go now. Go Look. Please.

By the way, this is absolutely hilarious.

4 comments:

ShellyS said...

I first got online in Dec. 1995 with AOL. AOL Journals were my first blogs, in March 2004, along with a LiveJournal and my first Blogger ones. It was a good place to learn about blogging because it was damn easy to use, whereas Blogger wasn't back then (it didn't improve until July of that year) and LiveJournal made no sense to me (it does now).

I left AOL for good a year ago, but hadn't really used it for 2 years. I use AIM for IMs and aol.com for the writers message boards that are now just a group of cranky folks posting, but it's an addiction.

Technorati says it supports Open ID, so you can use that ID, too, to post comments here, supposedly, if you have a Technorati account.

zydeco fish said...

Fascinating. 1995 was early. You were cutting edge.

ShellyS said...

It was a brave new cyberworld. And I had to be part of it. The easiest way possible. ;)

Kate said...

When I worked for a dot com back in '99 (or the 1900's as the nimrod from the design show I was watching this afternoon said) if anyone wrote in from an AOL address saying that they were having trouble with the site, we would want to just tell them to put their computer back in the box.

I do sort of use AIM now, but only infrequently and just to communicate with people who use that. Anything to avoid using the phone.