Monday, January 07, 2008

Mechanical Failures and Other Disappointments

1) My bike exploded this morning. Well, I suppose that is a little dramatic. It ceased to function as it should. The pedals rotate freely, moving the chain around, but it's as if there is no chain at all because there is no drive. I have no idea why this is. I had to walk my bike half the way in today. Twice, for a few meters, things reverted to normal and I could cycle, but then it all collapsed again and I was left cycling in one spot, my legs spinning madly, not moving forward, until I almost fell sideways. Thankfully, it was warm, but ...

2) I overdressed today, despite knowing the temperature. I had to remove one layer and my gloves lest I overheat. I had expected to coast down the hills - the cool air teasing my hair - overcome with memories of driving my dad's small British convertible down the rural highways to my summer evening class in American History during my undergrad. This was not to be. And, anyway ...

3) Aren't we all supposed to be wearing jet packs by now? Where is mine?

4) What's the point of spending an entire hour watching the Amazing Race if everyone gets to stay on the show? I am not happy about the non-elimination legs. I could have done something productive with that hour, like sleep. I don't usually watch this show, but I am making an exception this time.

2 comments:

tweetey30 said...

That must have sucked about the bike. Hope you get it fixed. And I havent watched the Amazing Race in weeks now. Some look good and others I avoid.

running42k said...

My bike did the same thing fish. It is the reason I ended up buying a new one. If it is like mine, the free wheel at the back of the bike is seizing. It would have cost the same to fix as buy a new bike, so I did the new bike thing.