Thursday, January 03, 2008

My Patron Saint

I should have taken this week off from work. I mean, practically no one is here. I have a distinct lack of motivation because the place is deserted. Sure, there are things to be done, but I have no interest in doing them right now. I want to go home and sleep and warm up after my cold cycle in this morning. So, instead of working, I am writing this and listening to Acme Plus from the Jon Spencer Blues Explosion. I found this CD for only $5.99 at HMV. Amazing. I think I am contracting another cold. That sucks.

Did you know that Saint Jerome is the patron saint of librarians, archivists, translators and encyclopedists? I had no idea either. I am not sure why this is the case. In fact, check out some of his famous quotes:

"...though God can do all things He cannot raise up a virgin when once she has fallen..."

I think there is now surgery that will do the trick.

"I praise wedlock, I praise marriage, but it is because they give me virgins."

I am not sure that is true.

"Notice that it is good virgins who are spoken of, for there are bad ones as well."

I am beginning to wonder why he is my patron saint.

"Be not afraid that all will become virgins: virginity is a hard matter, and therefore rare, because it is hard..."

Probably true!

7 comments:

tweetey30 said...

One thing now days is that most girls and boys are no longer virgins past there teen years. Too much preteen sex out there.

Super Happy Jen said...

Perhaps these quotes are simply bad traslations, and whenever he says "virgin" he really meant "librarian". The quotes make a lot more sense that way. Particularly this one:

"Be not afraid that all will become librarians: librarianinity is a hard matter, and therefore rare, because it is hard..."

zydeco fish said...

Hmmm. You might be on to something here. I'll have to find the Latin texts and do some translation...

Anonymous said...

Bit of an obsession with virginity, n'est pas?

zydeco fish said...

i hope that is not true :-(

Liz said...

super happy jen's suggestion makes a lot of sense.

zydeco fish said...

Well, maybe she is right after all :-)