Wednesday, March 12, 2008

A Conversation with a Driver

Have you ever had a conversation and later wished that you could redo it? I had one the other day, when a co-worker asked if I still cycled in the winter.

"Yes," I replied.

"Are you one of those cyclists who take up a entire lane?" she wanted to know. Man, her antipathy and fury towards cyclists was so complete, I thought she was going to lose it, but she added a meek laugh at the end to cover up her anger.

I said something like, "occasionally, we have to use the entire lane because of potholes, manhole covers, grates, ice, snow, etc. What I should have said is "are you one of those drivers who park or drive in the bike lane?"

And then, she asked, "are you one of those cyclists who swerve around cars?" I said something like, "I go around cars that are turning right, because it is safer, and I do pass cars that are driving slower than I am cycling. I pass taxis that are picking up or dropping off fares, because, otherwise, you might get doored."

What I should have said was "are you one of those drivers who opens your door without checking to see if there are bicycles coming? Are you one of those drivers who turn right in front of cyclists without shoulder-checking? Are you one of those drivers who pull over to the side of the road without shoulder-checking? Are you one of those drivers who get in their car to take a two minute drive to pick up milk or cigarettes from your corner store? Are you one of those drivers who is contributing to global warming while I freeze my face off in winter while I get some exercise?"

And, I just found this in the Highway Traffic Act:
Use of radio headphones prohibited

215 No driver of a motor vehicle or operator of a bicycle shall, while operating the motor vehicle or bicycle on a highway, wear, on both ears, headphones which are used for the purpose of listening to a radio or a recording.
So, Running42K, you are a law breaker.

4 comments:

tweetey30 said...

I have those coversations once a year but cant give you an example right now. I just woke up..

running42k said...

Here here on the conversation.

Thanks for the link on the earphones. It looks like if I wear one I am OK. It's a 45 minute ride one way. I need the diversion.

Kate said...

I find that conversations that start with "Are you one of the people who..." never ends well. Either I wisely walk away or stupidly stay until my head explodes. No one who starts a "conversation" like that wants to do anything approaching discussion.

I am very conscious of bicycles, but I have a problem with bicyclists who break rules like riding on the sidewalk and then darting into the street and then back onto the sidewalk. I highly doubt that you fall into the erratic cyclist category.

I don't even want to talk about other drivers.

tshsmom said...

I've been on both sides of that conversation.
Like Kate says, when the conversation starts like that it's a no-win situation.