Friday, April 11, 2008

Flickr Video

I have to confess that I am a little dismayed that Flickr is now accepting videos. If that is not enough, videos are appearing in Explore pages mixed in with the photographs! This is chaos. I love video and I think that YouTube is great, but Flickr is not YouTube and YouTube is not Flickr.

By the way, why isn't YouTube called YourTube or MyTube?

Yahoo! - who owns Flickr - already has a video sharing site, so why do we need Flickr videos mixing it up with a distinctly different art form? At least they have instituted a policy that users only upload videos that they have created and the vids must be shorter than 90 seconds. Still, I am not fooled by Flickr's description of videos as "long photographs."

So far, the videos that I have seen are not that good, but I did view a couple of good ones. Maybe I will change my mind if I ever decide to make some videos. I have already received invitations to join video groups even though I have no videos to share.

I do like this one, though:



I am drying off after my rainy ride in this morning.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I like how Flickr videos display a lot better. I might use it to post my own photo slide shows, but not for regular videos. I can also see it turning into a real disaster.