Friday, April 18, 2008

Obsolete Skills

A colleague alerted us to ObsoleteSkills.com. I find this site to be very amusing, but there are some things on this list that I still have to do, like:

adjusting the rabbit ears on the top of a TV - I do not have cable...

putting a needle on a vinyl record, but not very frequently.

buy a roll of film - I have three cameras loaded with film right now and some of them require that I know how to focus a camera.

clicking the up and down arrows of a vertical scrollbar - now that is just stupid. I still do that.

calling a phone sex line ... no, wait, I never did that.

9 comments:

Unknown said...

hmm, I can still do shorthand.
I feel old.

zydeco fish said...

Shorthand! Now that's a skill I always wanted to have. I wonder if anyone learns that these days.

Deodand said...

How about sending a telegram? I just watched a film from 1991 that had telegrams as plot devices, and they made my head spin.

tshsmom said...

The only one of those I still do is play vinyl. My turntable automatically sets the stylus down. ;)

mister anchovy said...

I still adjust rabbit ears. We don't have cable or satellite for our 13" media centre.

Maia said...

You know, that husband of mine continues to use the scroll bar at the side. I've never understood why...

Oh the rabbit ears... I grew up with two channels... my father continues to only get one...

I choose cable.

Liz said...

I recently showed a student how to use a typewriter. He was amazed.

Liz said...

Using a slide rule is on there! I had a high school chemistry teacher who was amazing with one of those and I was always super impressed. Of course, we didn't all have computers back then.

zydeco fish said...

A typewriter? Why?