Friday, May 09, 2008

3.08

I went running with a friend last evening, the first time I have laced up the trainers in years and years. We did just over 3k, which was a nice gentle reminder of the old days. In high school, I was on the Track team and the Cross-Country team, but I preferred track, as I was really a sprinter (I once held a track record somewhere in southern Ontario, but that has probably been smashed by now). Middle distance didn't really do it for me back then.

When I started running with the X-Country team, I couldn't believe that people could be so chatty when they ran. Here we were, doing a 7.5K circuit, and they were all talking about what they were planning to do on Saturday night. I could barely speak. Soon, talking and running didn't seem so weird, and now I think it might be part of the experience.

The funniest thing was being reminded of the fartlek. Ah, the fartlek. No, this is not a small release of gas while running. It was hard to say fartlek with a straight face back in High School, and I still think it's funny now. Just try saying it and tell me that it's not funny. It's a riot. Oh, those Swedes...

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

If you ever feel the need to be informed or inspired (or possibly share the fartlek humour), my pal Bruce Murray is back doing his running podcast:

http://www.talkshoe.com/talkshoe/web/talkCast.jsp?masterId=30943&cmd=tc

If you can get dialled into TalkShoe Thursday nights when he does it live, you can actually ask questions. I can't do it, because TalkShoe hates me.

Kate said...

I love the word fartlek. I'm not such a huge fan of it otherwise.

Maia said...

Ever time I hear the term fartlek I crack a little smile. Just so people don't think I'm completely immature!

Congrats on the run. That's about 3.08km further than I can run.

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
tweetey30 said...

I cant even run that so congrats...Keep them running shoes good and lets here some more stories about the next time.