Tuesday, May 06, 2008

B+

I give yesterday's conference a B+. Last year's was worth about a C-. The keynote address was good, despite the presenter's rather boring delivery. Clearly, he tried to be enthusiastic, but it didn't work. One plenary sessions was truly excellent; the other was a pile of dismal mediocrity and I was utterly unconvinced by her strange metrics of technological progress. That's what happens when economists speak to librarians, I suppose. I choose one dud session, but that happens at all conferences.

In August, I will be attending The International Federation of Library Associations and Institutions World Library and Information Congress in Quebec City. This is a rare opportunity, for the congress normally meets in rather exotic locations, like South Africa, Korea, and Norway, etc. I am looking forward to this very much, even with a very long train trip (we have to keep costs down, so no flights for us). I am already planning what video files to add to my computer for the trip down and back. Oh, and food - since the train food is generally all gluten-based, I will have to pack a ton of food.

Now, to catch up on a day of missed work, but first, a meeting, and then another meeting...

5 comments:

Anna May Won't said...

that conference sounds like great fun! the ALA conference is in anaheim, california this year - too far! last year it was in d.c. too bad i missed it.

Unknown said...

I really wanted to go to IFLA and had applied to volunteer - just got the volunteer package, but with new job, I won't be able to go. So silly since I live just a couple hours away now!

running42k said...

I love the train, but I wouldn't think that you would save that much train versus flying.

tweetey30 said...

It sounds like a whopper of fun. Not literally speaking when I say whopper... LOL..

zydeco fish said...

Actually, the train is surprisingly much cheaper, by about 50%.