Monday, May 26, 2008

Held Captive on the 54th Floor

Imagine behind trapped on the 54th floor of a building with no way to escape, short of a Hans Gruber exit. But, the theme of captivity started much earlier in the day, the second day of Doors Open. First, I visited the Hare Krishna Temple on Avenue Road.

I am not averse to removing my shoes if asked. I was entering a holy place after all, and so I removed my shoes and placed them in a shoe hole, then wandered into the temple, hoping to have a look around and maybe take some photos. Instead, I was met by a devotee who apologized profusely for having been occupied with another visitor. Instead of leaving me to my own devices, he brought me over and assured me that he would offer a recap at the end to cover what I had missed.

And then, he proceeded to dump huge amounts of information about the Hare Krishna beginning with a photo of George Harrison. I was dying to leave, and not because of any antipathy to the Hare Krishna. I mean, I love their song, mostly because I am a fan of highly repetitive music. It's just that I had seen the temple and had a huge list of other places to go. Then, the refreshments person came by and apologized for not having the refreshments ready.

The whole time, some other devotee - with one tuft of hair on the back of his head - paced around the balcony that enclosed three fourths of the building. He was as mesmerizing as a pendulum, so exact in his pacing. Back and forth he went, almost like a rat in a cage, checking and rechecking for an exit or for enlightenment. I wondered if he was some sort of automaton. Back and forth he went with such deliberate precision I had to stop watching, though it was difficult to avert my eyes.

Soon enough, we got the onion and garlic speech. The minutes were ticking by and I was dying to leave, so I said: "Excuse me. I am really sorry, but I have to leave. I have some more engagements." The dude looked hurt, really. He tried to get another devotee to take me, and then I got the real sense that I was being proselytized to, and when that happens, I flee or slam doors. "Just five more minutes," he pleaded. You would have thought that his world was ending, just because I decided to bail.

I imagine that he cursed me, the garlic and onion eater, as I left to find my shoes.

* * *

So, this is a misnamed post. The 54th floor story will have to come tomorrow.

13 comments:

Super Happy Jen said...

funny that he gave you a pic of George Harrison. The Beatles like this religion? I'm converting on the spot!

Kate said...

Okay, I was confused there for a minute since I didn't think the Hare Krishna Temple has 54 floors. Just a guess.

Glad you got out. I hate being trapped. By anyone. For any reason.

zydeco fish said...

SHJ: George wrote some songs for the movement and he was a devotee from 1969 until his death. So, I guess you should get on with the converting, and all.

Anonymous said...

Onions and garlic?

zydeco fish said...

Yes, the Hare Krishna do not eat onions & garlic because, according to this guy, they make you want "to do the sex." He also said something about anger, but I am not sure. I think they also avoid mushrooms too, but he didn't mention that.

Anonymous said...

Boy. Way to take a perfectly good Hindu god and ruin him...

zydeco fish said...

Very funny. In truth, I can live without mushrooms quite happily. But, onions and garlic are staples.

Anonymous said...

And important in Indian cuisine, too, which makes it all the more ironic. Not to mention the fact that Krishna is the embodiment of love.

I much prefer this interpretation:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tOuOkvT_iSQ&feature=related

zydeco fish said...

But would Krishna approve of that? :-)

tshsmom said...

I'm happy to hear that you won't be handing me pamphlets at the airport! ;)

Anonymous said...

I so rarely see them here these days. I remember them when I was young at airports, as we traveled a lot, but lately nada. I kind of miss them.

M Taher said...

What a lively trip to find that 54th floor (virtual trip of a virtual librarian, indeed). A librarian, in you has catalogued and catagorized all that was around (I mean both static and dynamic, whatever be the colors), for this you get a ten. You just did all that in your narrative--congrats. Hope in future, librarians who visit such a place will add more keywords, tags and folksonomy, too.
Peace and blessings.

tweetey30 said...

Trapped. I hate when people make you feel like you have to stay to listen to them.