Saturday, May 31, 2008

Mother's Autograph Books

I have been digging through some boxes and discovered a couple of old autograph books that belonged to my mother when she was in elementary school. I think I rescued them from a fiery death years ago. They are filled with an interesting array poems - some stupid and some religious.

How about this:
[place deleted]
Jan 4, 1949

Dear ____

I love you little
I love you big
I love you like a little pig

your pal,
Florence
Which is followed by:
Jan 1st/49

Dear ____

Make us of one heart and mind
Courteous pitiful and kind
Lowly meek in thought and
Altogether like our Lord

Your Grand Dad ______
And then:
January, 24 1949,

Dear _____

All good girls love their brothers
But _____ so good has grown
That she loves other girls brothers
Far better than her own

Your friend,
Betty
In the second book, her mother wrote:
Jan 4, 1952

Dear _____

Your future lies before you
Like a sheet of driven snow,
Be careful how you step on it
For every mark will show

Your Mother
That is so like my grandmother, soon to be 89. She is so concerned with appearances, that woman.

1 comment:

tshsmom said...

My kids love to read the autographs in my old high school annuals. "Did you REALLY do the stuff those people said you did Mom?"

I have several friends who threw away their annuals, so their kids couldn't read the autographs. C'mon, let the kids know that their parents are human!