Thursday, August 21, 2008

Olympics

Four things.

1) Michael Smith - I've been listening to former decathlete Michael Smith's Olympic track and field commentaries on the CBC. Generally, I think he is a good commentator and clearly knowledgeable about the athletes and the events. But, man oh man, this dude needs a dictionary. He has a penchant for making up words and improperly using others. He made up a doozie the other day, and I wish I could remember what it was. During the women's pole vault competition, he said that the bar had hung there "precociously for a moment." I have to think he meant to say precariously.

2) Usain Bolt - He is amazing, but I have to confess that his 100 metre victory left me a little disappointed. I really wish he had finished the race, rather than just jogging across the finish line. I wanted to see what he could really do. The 200 metre final was much better, since he finished the race properly.

3) Shattered - When a world record is broken by a mere 100th of a second or two 100th of a second, it has not been shattered, despite what commentators might say. One hundredth of a second is inconsequential. It may be a new world record, and it may be cool to see, but shattered, it is not. Broken, it is.

4) Michael Phelps - It's all been said, but I am glad not to have to follow his diet.

3 comments:

running42k said...

Bolt is incredible. The fact that he let up and still beat the world record in the 100 is amazing.

I was watching the Olympics on CBC last night and the way that the lady was analyzing the 400m hurdles was bang on. As a former track runner (just like you are) it is good for the general public to understand that track running has some thought behind it. It isn't just going all out. there is some strategy.

zydeco fish said...

True, there is strategy. Bolt is amazing and that record time might be left untouched, except by him, for years to come. I just wanted to see what else he had, but I know he had to save something for the 200 and the relay.

Liz said...

I think I could compete with Phelps--but only on the diet and not on the athleticism! ;-)

I should start blogging my diet. I eat all day non-stop, at least according to people around me. No I am not overweight. I'm actually in pretty good shape and according to mypyramidtracker (dot) gov (I enter my food and activities everyday), I'm actually averaging a little under 2000 calories per day in my diet and my energy requirement is a little over 2000 calories. Those are averages, but it's not rare for me to consume close to 2500 calories in one day--or to burn that many on a day I hit the gym hard.